Saturday 29 August 2015

Clubbing it! Cold War Commander

I had my first taste of Cold War Commander Thursday gone, which despite the game bringing me to the realisation that I know next to nothing about late 20th Century tactics I really enjoyed. It's a steep learning curve for me and I hope to do a lot better than the paltry advance of the Russians and Afghan Regulars in the face of determined resistance from the Mujahedin.

My progress was painfully slow and resulted in the two flanking forces of Afghan Regulars beong ambushed and seriously pinned!

Here's some pics of the game that relate my tactical naivety rather nicely! I hope to do a better job next week!










Bye for now.



6 comments:

  1. I have CWC but have not yet tried it in an open game . We normally use Combined Arms for our modern games- a 1980 set from the same stable as Command Decision and at roughly the same command level as CWC. My overall impression is that CWC might play better in a larger game being overall a bit simpler tha CA. What size are thefigures? 20mm or 15mm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    It was 20mm. The guys all seem to play CWC in that scale at the club. We're on the %' wide table presently- I reckon the game might have gone a little better (for my poor delusioned Russians) if there was more room on the flanks. Perhaps even an extra foot, It was my first time playing CWC and I cocked it up big time LOL :>) I've never played Combined Arms either. I'll ask about at the club and see if anyone has a copy. It's got to be worth a read. Hope this makes sense? I'm absolutely knackered after a day of wrestling with Ikea furniture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you get a minute- check out the modern games on my blog- all played to CA- with some amendments and all in 15mm as the forces are comparatively new- none of my collections for this period being more than 5 years old- mostly a lot less.
      Our group are more used to the Command Decisiobn systems so CA suits us a bit better as you don't have to "change your brain" too much from CD. Mind you these day we play moe moderns than WW2

      Delete
    2. Will do mate and thanks for the suggestion. I'm taking the morning off fro the house but the time will be spent basing some Ceorls for the Hastings demo- no rest for the wicked vis defeated :)

      Darrell.

      Delete
  3. Heard good things about these rules but would mean a lot of rebasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, luckily none of the mini's are mine so (luckily) there no basing at all requited LOL :>)

      Darrell.

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment