Tuesday 17 March 2015

Announcing: Salute 2016 The Battle of Hastings!

Next year, as a demo game I am planning on putting on Hastings as a demo game. I know that there have been some rumblings that Salute may not be on next year, or at least not at the same venue but failing Salute, there's always Partizan and The Other Partizan!

I've got quite a large collection of Normans, mostly cavalry and Crossbowmen, a legacy of the WAB rules from back in the day. I just couldn't afford the infantry, which wasn't that steady in WAB terms.

I'm planning on using Simon, Big Red Bat's To the Strongest rules so it should be a very different experience to the normal run of the mill wargame.

After re-basing what I've already got painted up I reckon that I've got to double the total of cavalry and the infantry and Anglo Danes will be painted up from scratch. Luckily for me I own a lot of Norman and Anglo Dane miniatures to it will really be a case of filling up on a few extras and buying some of those lovely Footsore Late Saxons that Bill has been working on. As soon as Footsore have unit deals available that is.

I thought that it would be fun to run through the various units as they stand now and then there will be a record of them prior to the units being re-based:

We'll start with the cavalry or Mounted Milites as would have been known circa 1066:


















Next up the Skirmishers and Crossbowmen
Bye for now








19 comments:

  1. C'mon Darrell, you know you really want to debut a smaller version of this demo game at this years Battleground at Stockton-on-Tees, in November. Last years show only featured a couple of 'high-end' demo games (Italian Wars & Vietnam, both in 28mm) and him (Mr A. Copestake) from Old Glory was moaning at the lack of quality on display. Salute's full of southerners anyroad, why'd you want to go down there...

    Seriously though, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, Salute or Partizan..... I'm sticking to my guns :>)

      Delete
  2. Amazing, can't wait to see them in action!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty of re-basing and painting to do but I've got a year- actually that's not as long as it sounds!!

      Delete
    2. A year?? Very impressive...

      Delete
  3. Great looking Normans - best wishes on your game. I've yet to play out Hastings, but hope to some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb looking stuff Darrell. Footsore have caught my eye too. I'll be intrigued to see how Simon's rules represent Hasting's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I intend to have a long discussion with Simon re:Hastings and see what suggestions he has. Simon?? :>)

      Darrell.

      Delete
  5. A good reason to visit Salute next year to:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are freaking awesome! Anyone who gets to push them around will be lucky indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you to say so- they were a bit of a labour of love. All the shields etc being painted and not a shield transfer in sight! Boy, those shields took some painting!

      Darrell.

      Delete
  7. That's a PROPER army, I am already green with envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- you might not say that if you knew how many infantry, just for the Normans I had to paint! LOL :>)

      Delete
  8. Don't quote me on that mate. I've heard ***rumours*** that it may or may not be on next year.

    If not there's always Partizan or the Other Partizan.

    darrell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have set yourself a task Darrell but I'm eager to see this game take shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most 'Dark Age'/Early Medieval mini's paint up a treat so it shouldn't be a problem getting them all dolled up. I've pretty much got the nucleus of the Normans already so I'm about one sixth of the way there in tems of painting the miniatures and about zero percent in terms of scenery! Wish me luck!

      Delete

Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment